Kalgoorlie, Wa, 6430 Area Guide
Kalgoorlie, also known as Kalgoorlie-Boulder, is a vibrant city located in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. It is situated approximately 595 kilometers east-northeast of Perth, the state capital. Kalgoorlie is known for its rich mining history, particularly in gold mining, which has played a significant role in shaping the city's economy and culture.
Transport & Access:
Kalgoorlie is well-connected to other parts of Western Australia. The city is accessible by road via the Great Eastern Highway, which connects it to Perth. The Indian Pacific railway line also passes through Kalgoorlie, providing a scenic train journey between Perth and Sydney. The Kalgoorlie-Boulder Airport offers regular flights to and from Perth, making air travel convenient for residents and visitors.
Kalgoorlie offers a range of educational institutions for students of all ages. Some notable schools in the area include:
1. Kalgoorlie School of the Air: A unique distance education school that caters to students in remote areas.
2. Eastern Goldfields College: A public high school offering comprehensive education programs.
3. Kalgoorlie Primary School: A primary school providing quality education for young learners.
4. John Paul College: A private school offering education from kindergarten to year 12.
Things to Do:
Kalgoorlie offers a variety of activities and attractions for residents and tourists alike. Some popular things to do in the area include:
1. Super Pit: Visit the Super Pit, one of the largest open-cut gold mines in the world, and learn about the mining industry.
2. Museum of the Goldfields: Explore the rich history of the region at this museum, which showcases artifacts and exhibits related to gold mining.
3. Hannans North Tourist Mine: Experience an underground mine tour and learn about the life of a miner.
4. Kalgoorlie-Boulder Racing Club: Enjoy a day at the races and experience the excitement of horse racing.
5. Hammond Park: Relax in this beautiful park, which features a playground, BBQ facilities, and walking trails.
Kalgoorlie is made up of several suburbs and neighborhoods, each with its own unique character. Some nearby neighborhoods include:
1. Boulder: Located adjacent to Kalgoorlie, Boulder is known for its historic buildings and charming atmosphere.
2. Somerville: A residential suburb with a mix of housing options, including family homes and apartments.
3. Lamington: Known for its tree-lined streets and character homes, Lamington is a popular residential area.
4. South Kalgoorlie: This suburb offers a range of amenities, including shopping centers, schools, and recreational facilities.
Overall, Kalgoorlie is a vibrant city with a rich mining history, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and recreational activities for residents and visitors.